Counsel, Legal + Business Affairs (Film)
A24 is seeking a team member to join our Legal and Business Affairs team to help oversee content-related legal and business affairs. You should be a motivated self-starter with a strong interest in intellectual property, film development, production, film finance and distribution (both scripted and unscripted). This role will be an integral member of a highly collaborative Legal and Business Affairs team and will be a key contributor on our growing team. This role is based in New York or Los Angeles.
- Structure and negotiate a wide variety of domestic and international media and entertainment-related agreements including development, production, financing and distribution deals, talent agreements, releases, licenses, partnership deals, services agreements, consulting agreements, music licenses, network deals, promotion agreements and option agreements
- Structure, negotiate, document, and manage transactions to acquire and distribute content from 3rd parties and by way of co-productions worldwide
- Provide strategic business and legal affairs advice to internal business teams on general legal matters affecting A24 content, distribution, acquisitions and production
- Advise business partners with respect to legal rights and contractual responsibilities, guild agreements, intellectual property matters, claims and other matters arising out of the day-to-day production of film and television productions
- Cultivate established relationships at major talent agencies, networks, law firms, financiers, production companies and other relevant industry contacts
- Maintain familiarity with the requirements of, and relationships with, all the major entertainment guilds (WGA, DGA, SAG-AFTRA, etc)
- Establish and maintain key stakeholder relationships with regular, effective and timely communications concerning deal negotiation and business strategy
- Contribute to relevant internal and departmental process development and management, as well as deal-making resources
- J.D. with strong academic performance and membership in good standing in New York or California bar
- 6+ years of transactional experience working in a television or film business affairs department, legal affairs department and/or entertainment law firm
- Experience with distribution-related, financing and/or acquisition agreements and production issues. Expertise with respect to guild and union agreements, contracts, and intellectual property law
- Strong attention to detail, project management, time management, long-term planning skills and creative problem-solving abilities
- Excellent writing and organizational skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, strong drafting abilities and a can-do, no job is too small, team attitude
- Professional individual who can build strong relationships, both internally and externally, and is able to comfortably interact with all levels of employees
- Ability to juggle multiple, competing priorities, pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented
- Humble, diligent and resourceful
We are looking for diverse perspectives. A24 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all kinds of candidates.
Our target salary range for this position is between $185k and $225k. We do not use formal job titles internally and similarly named positions may have different compensation levels. Actual starting salary within the range will depend on various considerations, including: work experience, skills, specializations, and training. This role is also eligible for an annual performance bonus, including both cash and equity components, competitive healthcare, as well as other employee benefits.
A24 is the global entertainment company behind this year's historic Academy-Award® winning film Everything Everywhere All At Once. A24's premium library of 130+ films and TV shows includes Emmy-winning series Euphoria and Golden Globe winning series Ramy, and such award winning films as Minari, Moonlight, Lady Bird, Midsommar, Amy, and Uncut Gems. Upcoming television projects include The Sympathizer from Park Chan-Wook starring Robert Downey Jr., and Beef starring Academy-Award® nominee Steven Yeun and Ali Wong. Upcoming films include Ari Aster’s Beau is Afraid starring Joaquin Phoenix, Celine Song’s directorial debut Past Lives, Danny and Michael Philippou's Talk to Me, and Underrated with Steph Curry.
All valid links to open A24 job opportunities can be found at https://a24films.com/jobs or the Company's official Linkedin page and official recruiting communications will come only through emails from the domain @a24films.com.