Senior Backend Engineer - Go
We’re looking for a senior go engineer to join us here at GWI. Not just any senior go engineer though. Someone ambitious and genuine, who works best in the midst of a collaborative and forward-thinking team. That’s because as a GWIer you’ll be immersed in the fast-moving world of data tech. We think big to make an impact, we’re not afraid to ask why, and we always show respect. Those values are what got us where we are today, and they’re a big part of what we’re looking for in you.
About the job
At GWI we understand that software engineering is a multidisciplinary field that requires a team effort. As such, our focus in building our teams is on finding passionate and hard-working individuals from different backgrounds and areas of expertise and bringing them together to work on a host of challenging and interesting problems. Our mission as an engineering team in the company is to:
- Build new and exciting platforms for our users
- Improve our services through constant evolution and performance monitoring
- Support other teams and our colleagues through internal tools
- Raise the standards of software development throughout the company
This means that on a day to day basis, our Senior Back-end Engineers might be performing code reviews, delivering fast and exciting back-end services and APIs, motivate and guide the junior members of the team and work with their Engineering Manager to make sure that everything is delivered on time with the agreed quality.
What you’ll be doing
- Working within a multinational team with up to 5 people using a tech stack of Go and React
- Lead collaboration with other teams to integrate projects into cohesive overall system
- Ideate, brainstorm and implement new application components
- Participating in tech sessions and mentor junior members of the team
- Engaging on the Dev/Ops operations and on the QA of the product
- Making sure the deliverable conforms to the GWI standards by following the best practices in software engineering
First things first, as a disruptor in the global market research industry, we haven’t come this far without entrepreneurial spirit and a get-up-and-go attitude. So if you think we’ll see that in you, then you’re already halfway there. Here’s the rest of what we’d like you to bring to the table.
- Demonstrable commercial experience in at least one major language (Go, C# or Java)
- Excellent software development skills using both object and functional-oriented design fundamentals with a strong background in cloud applications and microservices architecture
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals (data representation, data structures, algorithms) and with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Knowledge and experience with continuous integration and deployment automation concepts
- Good judgement, teamwork, prompt decision-making ability, responsibility and accountability
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements and delivery timelines; Agile development experience (including tools like JIRA, Git etc) is welcome
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Experience with Go in highly scalable environments is considered a strong plus
- Experience with Microservice architectures and gRPC
- Basic Dev/Ops knowledge (Google Cloud platform, Kubernetes, Github Actions etc)
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
Great benefits make a big difference. Not just to employees, but to the whole vibe of a business. That’s why when you work for us, you’ll enjoy a full spectrum of generous perks, rewards and office benefits.
- Competitive salary and performance-based bonus
- Generous training budget, including a fully paid international conference each year
- 25 days holiday and Christmas office closure days on top
- Allocated shares according to GWI’s share scheme
- A range of discounts and freebies
- A genuine commitment to mental and physical health, with a range of content, tools and perks to help you look after your wellbeing
- LinkedIn Learning and ongoing Learning and Development opportunities
- Enhanced primary caregiver and co-caregiver’s benefits
- Flexitime and a great work-life balance
- Private health insurance plan
- Referral bonus scheme
- Mobile phone contract
- Early finishes on Fridays
- A well-stocked fridge and plenty of snacks (some healthy, some not so healthy)
- Restaurant Ticket card option
- Commit a working day to charity each year
- Social activities and team outings
Who we are
GWI was founded with the knowledge that understanding your audience is really important for business. When you know who you’re speaking to and why, you can create content and campaigns that stand out to the people that matter.
Through our global online survey, we gather data on the behaviour and perceptions of consumers across the world. This provides businesses with deep, actionable insights on their audience, revealed from data they trust.
It’s been going well, too. Since launching in 2009, we’ve become one of the UK’s fastest growing target audience companies. We’re not about to stop growing any time soon. As a business, we’re on a mission to re-engineer data-driven marketing, and we’re on the lookout for talented people to join us.
Diversity & Inclusion
Imagine if our data came from just one kind of person. We’d get a very nuanced view of the world. And we definitely wouldn’t have got off the ground as a business.
Although things certainly aren’t perfect, we live in a society where differences are increasingly celebrated – so we’d expect nothing else from our teams. In fact, the GWI office is as diverse as our global data, it’s really important to us that it stays that way. This is a place to feel at home, express yourself freely and make your mark.
Something looks off?