Privacy and Data Protection Counsel
Want to help us, help others? We’re hiring!
GoFundMe is a global community of over 100 million people with the common purpose of helping one another. Our mission is to help people help each other by making it safe and easy for people to ask for help and support causes—for themselves, each other, and their communities. In 2022, GoFundMe joined together with Classy, a leading nonprofit fundraising software company that enables nonprofits to connect supporters with the causes they care about. Together, GoFundMe and Classy have empowered people and organizations to raise more than $25 billion since 2010. Our vision is to become the most helpful place in the world.
Join us! The GoFundMe team is looking for an experienced attorney with a strong understanding of data privacy/protection laws to join its legal team. This position is an exciting opportunity to help GoFundMe proactively manage legal risk while advancing our business goals and protecting our users around the world. This role requires a strategic legal leader with deep subject matter expertise in privacy coupled with a pragmatic approach to operationalizing emerging legal and regulatory requirements. You’ll be required to collaborate effectively and help drive decision making across multiple teams throughout the company, including product, engineering, marketing, public policy, trust and safety, information security, and communications. You’ll also support and identify the implications of new, cutting-edge product, marketing, research and other initiatives on privacy and data use, technology architecture and standards, and data governance, to ensure GoFundMe maintains its focus on transparency and leadership in privacy and data protection.
You need to be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with broad responsibilities. Legal smarts are a must but we are also looking for a cooperative team player with keen business sense, common sense, and a strong work ethic. You must have the ability to balance commercial goals with high ethics and integrity and lead by example. You have the focus, tenacity and experience to drive key strategies and priorities within complex organizations, and can work independently when required. You will establish direction and obtain commitment from the groups you advise as well as be adept at influencing beyond your immediate organization. You are confident in your abilities and subject matter knowledge and will project this confidence to others.You must also have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organizational needs.
- Serve as a company-wide legal data privacy subject matter expert and a trusted resource for internal business clients across GoFundMe, which includes building strong working relationships with company stakeholders, advising on strategy, and considering business objectives in addition to legal compliance.
- Coordinate cross-functionally, and with outside counsel in domestic and international markets, on issues related to data privacy, product design and functionality, transactional issues, and other technology initiatives.
- Support the development of GoFundMe’s global privacy program in collaboration with other key stakeholders.
- Build, refine and scale data privacy/protection policies, compliance processes, and procedures.
- Be the primary legal support for the information security team and support their development of IT security policies and procedures.
- Be the legal lead for the company’s incident response efforts, including evaluating potential data exfiltration, data exposures, vendor compromises, and personal data incidents.
- Draft and review agreements involving data sharing or other data privacy legal impacts in collaboration with internal teams.
- Review and advise on implications of employee, customer, and third-party privacy policies, disclosures, notices, consents, and other external-facing materials.
- Provide privacy counsel regarding GoFundMe’s marketing activities and emerging business models.
- Advise on data privacy and security implications of AI and collaborate with internal teams to address issues
- Assist with developing and presenting data privacy training and other communications aimed at ensuring awareness, understanding and compliance with GoFundMe’s data privacy obligations.
- Monitor new and emerging legal and regulatory developments, including identifying potential impacts on current and future GoFundMe products and services.
- Lead and manage data protection impact assessments, audits, and regulatory investigations.
- Provide legal advice across other subject areas including IP, competition, consumer protection,, and other global legal frameworks.
- Support and manage other legal projects, as required.
- 10+ years of legal experience, including supporting and advising businesses on data privacy/ protection and information security related concerns, ideally with both a law firm and within a technology, fintech or other internet company (international payments/fintech experience is a plus).
- JD from an accredited law school, and be admitted to a State Bar and be in good standing.
- Expert knowledge of global privacy standards and regimes including but not limited to CCPA, CPRA, and GDPR.
- CIPP Preferred.
- Experience drafting data privacy policies, notices, disclosures, consents, and other external facing materials.
- Experience leading and managing privacy and information security investigations and responses to regulatory inquiries.
- Experience taking on projects involving different subject matters, and working with cross-functional organizations to drive alignment.
- Experience working on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, delivering practical advice under pressure and operating within ambiguity.
- You are a team player with a proven track record of building cross-functional relationships.
- You get things done!
Why you’ll love it here...
- Market competitive pay
- Rich healthcare benefits including employer paid premiums for medical/dental/vision (100% for employee only plans and 85% for employee + dependent plans) and employer HSA contributions.
- 401(k) retirement plan with company matching
- Hybrid workplace with fully remote flexibility for many roles
- Monetary support for new hire setup, hybrid work & wellbeing, family planning, and commuting expenses
- A variety of mental and wellness programs to support employees
- Generous paid parental leave and family planning stipend
- Supportive time off policies including vacation, sick/mental health days, volunteer days, company holidays, and a floating holiday
- Learning & development and recognition programs
- Gives Back Program where employees can nominate a fundraiser every week for a donation from the company
- Inclusion, diversity, equity, and belonging are vital to our priorities and we continue to evolve our strategy to ensure DEI is embedded in all processes and programs at GoFundMe. Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion team is always finding new ways for our company to uphold and represent the experiences of all of the people in our organization.
- Employee resource groups
- Your work has a real purpose and will help change lives on a global scale.
- You’ll be a part of a fun, supportive team that works hard and celebrates accomplishments together.
- We live by our core values: impatient to be great, find a way, earn trust every day, fueled by purpose
- We are a certified Great Place to Work, are growing fast and have incredible opportunities ahead!
GoFundMe is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that actively pursues candidates of diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to providing diversity, equity, and inclusion training to all employees, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, nationality or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, age, medical condition, mental or physical disability, or military or veteran status.
The total annual salary for this full-time position is $205,000 - $277,500 + bonus + equity + benefits. As this is a remote position, the salary range was determined by role, level, and possible location across the US. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range based on your location during the hiring process.
Learn more about GoFundMe: