Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
Remote - Bangalore, India
Legion is seeking world class talent to help us capitalize on a massive opportunity to enable the future of work for the 2.7 billion-person strong deskless workforce. We have built a cutting edge workforce engagement suite which leverages AI and machine learning to deliver labor efficiency for employers and great experiences for employees across the Retail, Hospitality, and Fitness industries. Legion is backed by leading venture firms, including Norwest Venture Partners, Stripes, First Round Capital, Webb Investment Network, Workday Ventures, NTT Docomo Ventures, and XYZ Ventures.
Legion has revolutionized the application of AI to help turn hourly jobs into great jobs by improving labor efficiency and employee engagement. We are now taking the next step to create a new team that will focus on the future of workforce management. You'll be part of a true startup within a startup team with a direct line to the CEO and own the challenge to completely rethink the concept of hourly work.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Devise robust solutions that enable product teams to rapidly deliver features in a scalable and performant manner
- Design, build, and support key frameworks that are used by other engineering teams
- Make data-driven technical decisions
- Use your deep technical knowledge to debug and solve complex technical problems
- Identify and resolve ambiguities in requirements in consultation with the various stakeholders
- Contribute to the long term team charter and quarterly planning
- Mentor others on the team, hold a high bar for code quality and standards by conducting code reviews and providing feedback
- Multi-tenant architecture
- Reporting & Analytics Framework
- Search & caching framework
- API & Partner Integrations
- Periodic platform and framework upgrades
- Automation for onboarding new customers
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years with backend technologies (Java 8+, Spring Boot, MySQL)
- 3+ years delivering software in a cloud-based environment (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- 3+ years working on building multi-tenant SaaS applications
- 3+ years experience with designing and building APIs for external applications
- Proven ability to lead projects from inception to production
- Strong mastery in communication skills, software architecture design, technical documentation writing
- Strong personal work ethic focused on prioritization, action-oriented and driven to achieve positive results
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Hands on experience with Docker & Kubernetes at large scale
- Proficiency with AWS products and services
- Prior experience in managing frameworks/systems for ensuring code quality such as Coverity, SonarQube etc.
Legion is seeking world-class talent to help us capitalize on a massive opportunity to enable the future of work for the 2.7 billion-person strong hourly workforce. Legion powers the future of work by redefining how companies manage and empower their hourly workforces. Legion’s autonomous, AI-powered Workforce Management platform enables companies to tightly manage labor spend while ensuring great experiences for their employees and customers. The software accurately forecasts demand, computes precise labor needs, and staffs the right employees at the right times based on employee skills and preferences. These uncertain times also require healthy workplace features that automate the scheduling of healthy employees and offer immediate response protocols in the event symptoms are detected. These capabilities and more are already built directly into Legion.
Legion’s modern cloud platform pairs cutting edge machine learning, artificial intelligence, and beautiful interfaces to deliver over 10x return on investment. Legion was founded by Sanish Mondkar, the former Chief Product Officer of SAP, and serves many innovative customers including Dollar General, Five Below, Panda Express, Cinemark, and Vail Resorts. Legion has been recognized by Gartner, and was recently included on JMP Securities’ Hot 100 List of the Best Privately Held Software Companies. Legion is backed by preeminent venture firms such as Norwest Venture Partners, Stripes, First Round Capital, Webb Investment Network, Workday Ventures, NTT Docomo Ventures, and XYZ Ventures, and is based in Palo Alto, California.
BACKGROUND AND OPPORTUNITY
The hourly workforce currently constitutes almost 60% of the overall labor market in the United States and these nearly 80 million hourly workers are the driving force behind many of our largest domestic industries like food/beverage, retail and hospitality. Management of this workforce has historically been difficult due to high churn (average of 60%), high cost of replacement (average of $3,200 per employee in retail) and now new challenges are developing as millennials enter this market. The retail vertical alone spends $62 billion dollars a year on replacing workers and over 50% of hourly workers leave their jobs because of flexibility reasons.
In our modern, Uber-ized times, younger folks seek gig-like flexibility, modern mobile first technology and compelling work options. They want to use an app on their phone to schedule work, not haggle with the manager over their schedule on a week to week basis. Likewise, employers are increasingly in need of a flexible and efficient labor model that supports the innovations (think pop up stores, home delivery, mobile ordering, service options etc) needed, and frankly demanded, by today’s modern customers. Mid market organizations have never had a technology platform to manage their hourly workers and the enterprise is mired in decades old technology (think Kronos, Infor) that’s both user unfriendly and wildly ineffective for managing today’s modern hourly workforce. There is a huge opportunity to modernize and upgrade how hourly workers interact with their employers and while enabling employers to be elastic, efficient and innovative...but no one has cracked the code until now.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Legion Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive considerations for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, veteran status, and any other legally protected status under federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws.
Legion is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, veteran, disability status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
How We Determine What We Pay
As a fully remote employer, Legion determines pay for positions using local, national, and industry-specific survey data. We evaluate external equity and the cost of labor/prevailing wage index in the relative marketplace for jobs directly comparable to jobs within our company. Our posted salary range is based on national data and may be refined for a candidate's region/town/cost of living. For new hires, we strive to make competitive offers allowing the new employee room for future growth. Salaries will be based on the applicant’s location, level of experience, education, and specialized knowledge and skills. Additionally, we consider the external market rate, the amount we have budgeted internally, and internal equity within the company for the same position. An employee/candidate with a stronger skill set will receive higher pay.
Types of Personal Information We Handle
We collect, store, and use various types of personal information through the application and recruitment process. We collect such information either directly from you or (where applicable) from another person or entity, such as an employment agency or consultancy, background check provider, or other referral sources. This information includes:
- Identification and contact information, and related identifiers such as full name, date and place of birth, citizenship and permanent residence, home and business addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and such information about your beneficiaries or emergency contacts.
- Professional or employment-related information, including:
- Recruitment, employment, or engagement information such as application forms and information included in a resume, cover letter, or otherwise provided through any application or engagement process; and copies of identification documents, such as driver’s licenses, passports, and visas; and background screening results and references.
- Career information such as job titles; work history; work dates and work locations; information about skills, qualifications, experience, publications, speaking engagements, and preferences; and professional memberships
- Education Information such as institutions attended, degrees, certifications, training courses, publications, and transcript information.
- Legally protected classification information such as race, sex/gender, religious/ philosophical beliefs, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, military service, nationality, ethnicity, request for family care leave, political opinions, and criminal history.
- Other information such as any information you voluntarily choose to provide in connection with your job application.
How We Use Personal Information
We collect, use, share, and store personal information from job applicants for our and our service providers’ business and operational purposes in the recruitment process such as: processing your application, tracking your application through the recruitment process, contacting references with your authorization, conducting background checks you authorize, and making hiring decisions. We will also use job applicant information for internal analysis purposes to understand the applicants who apply and to improve our recruitment process. We may sometimes need to use applicant information for legal purposes, such as in connection with any challenges made to our hiring decisions.
With Whom We Share Personal Information
We will disclose job applicant personal information to the following types of entities or in the following circumstances (where applicable):
- Internally: to other Legion personnel involved in the recruiting and hiring process.
- Vendors: such as technology service providers, travel management providers, human resources suppliers, background check companies, and employment agencies or recruiters, where applicable.
- Legal Compliance: when required to do so by law, regulation, or court order or in response to a request for assistance by the police or other law enforcement agency.
- Litigation Purposes: to seek legal advice from our external lawyers or in connection with litigation with a third party.
- Business Transaction Purposes: in connection with the sale, purchase, or merger.