Backend Engineer - Systems/Data
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2023
Memfault is seeking a Senior Backend Engineer to design, build, and scale our web services and data pipelines. You’ll be working with a tight-knit engineering team that manages our platform, which stretches from the metal to the cloud and enables millions of devices to work without a hitch.
You'll be working with a team of generalists and on a very large technology stack: we're not the typical web startup. We do everything from SDKs for microcontrollers, to large-scale data pipelining in the backend, to complex custom charting in the frontend.
We're a small but experienced team who has worked at startups, scale-ups, and includes former principal engineers at large tech companies. Our development process encourages and provides training for you to contribute to as many areas of our technology stack as you’re interested in.
NOTE: We are open to employees working outside of Berlin, Germany. We have monthly team gatherings in Berlin and bi-annual company off-sites around the world, both of which applicants would attend.
Why you'll love being an engineer at Memfault:
- We're proud to have an exceptional engineering culture — after all, we make developer tools and have 3 technical co-founders!
- We work on interesting technical challenges: We’re set up as a team of generalists and have a very large technology stack, far more broad than the typical web startup. We do everything from SDKs for microcontrollers, to large-scale data pipelining in the backend, to complex custom charting in the frontend.
- We offer excellent mentorship: We have a small but very experienced team who has worked at startups, scale-ups, and includes former principal architects at large tech companies. You will have the chance to work directly with those people! Our development process encourages and provides training for you to contribute to as many areas of our technology stack as you’re interested in.
- We offer regular opportunities to rotate across teams - sometimes, our engineers try on different hats several times in a year! We want to make sure each team member is getting ample opportunity to challenge and stretch themselves, explore technologies that interest them, work across different parts of the business, and expand their skillsets.
- We offer both fully-flexible remote work and opportunities to build in-person relationships: Fully remote, fully in-office and hybrid all a-OK. We are set up as a fully remote company, but we encourage people to come into the office to build relationships. We also have company-wide offsites 2x/year.
- Architect and scale backend infrastructure, data pipelines, and storage systems to accommodate tens of millions of devices
- Onboard as a backend developer
- Over the long term, work on the parts of our huge technology stack and the technical challenges that that interest you
- Start with simple, pragmatic solutions and iterate quickly
- Help bring modern development tools & practices to a whole software engineering discipline
- Have a major impact on our product, our infrastructure, our culture and our business
We’re looking for:
- Caring, kind, low ego: other people do better when they work with you
- A software engineer with 3+ years of experience building highly available and scalable data pipelines
- Knowledge in developing software in Python (Django or Flask/SQLAlchemy a plus)
- Experience with writing, debugging, and optimizing SQL.
- Experience in designing scalable multi-tenant database solutions
- Experience with ORM concepts
- Passion about software, unit, & integration testing
- Excitement to learn more about hardware and embedded software
Our tech stack:
- Python, TypeScript, Node.js, React, Webpack
- PostgreSQL, TimescaleDB, Redis, AWS, Docker, S3
We want you (yes, you!) to apply
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria — unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re interested: we’d love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Memfault is the first IoT reliability platform that empowers teams to build more robust devices at scale. Today hardware teams have little insight into how their products are performing, and what issues are driving the majority of field failures, with Memfault they can operate with the same speed and agility as software organizations. Companies such as Logitech, Bose, Whoop, and Verkada use Memfault’s performance monitoring, device debugging, and OTA update capabilities to ship fast and build high quality products. Memfault was founded by veterans of Pebble, Fitbit, and Oculus, and is backed by fantastic investors such as YCombinator and Uncork Capital.
See more open positions at Memfault
Something looks off?