Firmware Solution Architect
San Francisco, CA, USA · Boston, MA, USA · New York, NY, USA
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Memfault is seeking an embedded software engineer to join as a Firmware Solution Architect. You’ll be working with others on the Developer Experience team to build out Memfault’s firmware SDK spanning across a multitude of MCU architectures, RTOS’s, and vendor libraries. You’ll also be working with cutting-edge IoT companies as they integrate Memfault for the first time or add support for newly built features.
NOTE: We believe people in the same office work better together for a variety of reasons. Therefore, there is a strong preference for employees to work within the offices listed (SF, NYC, Boston). If you are confident we should make an exception, or you are hoping to move to one of these cities upon taking this job, let us know in your application!
- Collaborate with customer-facing and product teams and architect and implement SDK improvements in code that satisfy rigorous performance and size limitations.
- Engage directly with firmware engineers at cutting-edge hardware companies and work together to overcome issues integrating the Memfault platform. You will help solution how they should use Memfault.
- Build out and improve reference examples and SDK documentation.
- Contribute to the growing suite of unit, automated, and emulator tests to ensure that improvements work reliably and regressions don’t slip into production.
- Ship code early and often to customers. You’ll begin to constantly notice devices that are running your code out in the wild!
- Work on an amazingly deep stack: firmware, operating systems, mobile, web.
- Have a major impact on our product, our infrastructure, our culture and our business.
- Write for our technical blog, Interrupt!
Why you may be a fit
- You love teaching and solving problems, and want to have a major impact on our product, business, and our culture.
- A firmware engineer with 5+ years of experience writing C/C++ code that runs on embedded MCUs. Experience with RTOSs, ARM Cortex-M or Xtensa MCUs a plus.
- Comfortable with bringing up a variety of development boards, architectures, and new software platforms.
- You are passionate about modern developer practices, such as automated software testing and CI/CD.
- You are a great communicator, both conversationally and in written form. You can demonstrate credibility to technical buyers and articulate value to business stakeholders.
- You are organized and efficiently manage your time and priorities.
- You are caring and kind: other people do better when they work with you.
Even better if you have
- A desire to interface directly with our customers, listen to their problems, and help them solve them using Memfault.
- An eagerness to learn non-engineering skills, such as public speaking (conference talks), technical writing (Interrupt blog posts), and selling (customer calls).
- Experience with Android or Embedded Linux
- Experience with Python and/or SQL
People you will work with
If you are hired into our SF, Boston, or NYC work location, the compensation range for this position is between $100,000 and $170,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary may vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. Incentives such as bonuses may be available for this position for the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
We offer full benefits (health, vision, dental, 401k), unlimited PTO, and competitive pay and equity packages. Learn more about benefits and our company values - >
We want you (yes, you!) to apply
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria — unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Memfault is the first IoT reliability platform that empowers teams to build more robust devices at scale. Today hardware teams have little insight into how their products are performing and what issues are driving the majority of field failures; with Memfault, they can operate with the same speed and agility as software organizations. Companies like Lyft, Logitech, Bose, Whoop, and Verkada use Memfault's performance monitoring, device debugging, and OTA update capabilities to ship fast and build high-quality products. Memfault was founded by veterans of Pebble, Fitbit, and Oculus and is backed by Stripes, Uncork Capital, Partech, the 5G Innovation Lab, S28 Capital, and Y Combinator. Learn more about Careers at Memfault ->
Memfault recently closed a $24M Series B funding round announced on January 24, 2023. Learn more ->