Engineering Manager, Thinking Machines
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Remote · United States · Canada
Posted on Thursday, September 7, 2023
Replicant was founded on the belief that machines are ready to have useful, complex conversations that will transform the way they interact with the world, starting with customer service.
As the leader in Contact Center Automation, Replicant helps companies automate their most common customer service calls while empowering agents to focus on more complex and nuanced customer challenges. Replicant's AI platform allows consumers to engage in natural conversations across voice, messaging and other digital channels to resolve their customer support issues, without the wait, 24/7. We are now leading the way in using Large Language Models (LLMs) to transform customer service- again.
If you're excited by AI, ChatGPT, LLMs and want to make an impact with other great technologists and strong go-to-market leaders, then look no further. We've grown our team by 3x, increased revenue by 4x, and were named a top enterprise AI company by The Information. We currently serve Fortune 500 customers, run millions of AI calls per month in production, and are increasing our footprint globally.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to take ownership of one or more development teams. This role balances the need for successful and consistent execution goals with mentorship and developing a highly motivated team of engineers in a fast-paced environment. While we're a startup, we're not looking to build a hero/crunch culture and the only way to do that is to nail planning and execution - we'd love to hear how you've helped your teams here! This is not a coding role but you'll be working with your team(s) to ensure high technical quality, high product quality, a pragmatic technical approach as well as making our customers happy!
What You'll Do
- Collaborate closely with Customers, Project Leads, Key Stakeholders and your team to break down abstract ideas into viable project plans.
- Manage and prioritize key technical tracks of work through road mapping and goal-setting frameworks.
- Ensure your team is operating effectively. Oversee, support and facilitate scrum ceremonies (backlog grooming, sprint retros, daily stand-ups and other team ceremonies).
- Ensure we are shipping quality software by providing technical leadership and oversight for the execution of key customer implementations from kickoff to release.
- Provide mentorship, feedback and guidance through the creation of individualized growth plans and measurable goals.
- Build and support a collaborative working culture in a remote-first environment.
What You'll Bring
- You have 5+ years of software development experience.
- You have a minimum of 2-4 years leading remote software engineering teams.
- You're used to ownership and accountability and have driven the execution of high-value projects end-to-end.
- You have a strong background in software development, you’ve built things and shipped them. You know the right time to launch and when to hold something back and you know how to ensure we’re not getting swallowed by technical debt.
- You have excellent planning and communication skills and a vivid imagination. You’ve been able to translate abstract ideas into meaningful and incremental plans that project teams can align on.
- You’re here to grow your team. The day-to-day is more than just tickets and you can speak to a well-established process for growth as well as the promotions you’ve championed.
- A passion for making decisions with data. You know your way around Jira, Sheets and other tools and carve out the data you need to help inform key decisions.
- Experience in Agile (Scrum) methodologies and ceremonies. You're a fan of incremental improvement culture and celebrating success.
- Experience with Jira, Tello or Asana. We are all in on Jira and that should excite you! We strive to simplify our process to ensure minimal overhead.
For all employees, we offer:
🏠 Remote working environment that respects time zone differences
💸 Highly competitive salaries, equity, and for US Employees, a 401(k) plan
🏥 Top of the line healthcare (medical, vision, and dental)
🏋🏼♀️ Health and Wellness Perk
🖥️ Equipment Stipend
🌴 Flexible vacation policy
✈️ Amazing team trips & offsites where you can find our CEO baking bread for the team
🌺 Replicants are eligible for a 5-week sabbatical after being at the company for 4.5 years
Replicant has three core values. It is critical that everyone who joins the team feels excited and moved by these values as every new team member makes an impact on our culture.
Blade Runners: We take ownership and pride to influence the outcomes of our goals. We are successful, and like a Blade Runner, use the tools at our disposal to reach our objectives. We value open and honest communication and proactively seek feedback along the way. We are a company driven to grow and achieve both individually and as a team.
Bread Makers: We are humble and strive toward an egalitarian culture. No task is too big or too small. We work together to achieve our goals and develop our company mission. We believe that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts in everything that we do.
Självdistans (Self-Distance): Självdistans is Swedish for self-distance. It's the ability to critically reflect on oneself and one's relations from an external perspective. With this in mind, we act with objectivity and always remember that we are not our work. There's no perfect science to growing a team or business, but we trust everyone at Replicant to point out our blind spots and humbly admit their own.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Replicant is dedicated to fostering an inclusive work environment, aiming to achieve diversity that benefits not only us and our customers, but also our future. We highly appreciate varying perspectives, skills, and experiences, and encourage applications from all demographics of society.
We warmly welcome individuals with disabilities and will provide necessary support throughout the entire hiring process. If you require an accommodation related to a disability, please reach out to us. Replicant will collaborate with applicants with disabilities who request accommodation to ensure that the provided support aligns with their specific accessibility requirements.