Director of Customer Success
Who We Are
For over 20 years, SPINS has been a leader in recognizing the transformative power of data in retail. We offer our clients cutting-edge tools to attract attention from a fast-growing segment within the Health & Wellness industry, the values-based consumer. Nearly half of shoppers prioritize products that emphasize wellness, social responsibility, and sustainable practices. SPINS retail consumer insights, analytics, and consulting services give our clients a competitive advantage to increase their share of this growing market. Our data is the most comprehensive and accurate in the industry, allowing clients to power AI models and machine learning algorithms that help them better understand and meet their customers' needs. At SPINS, behind all of our impressive data is our real differentiator, our people. We pride ourselves on our collaborative, flexible, and communicative culture that puts people at the center of everything we do.
Director of Customer Success
At SPINS, the Customer Success team is part of the Revenue Organization, and is divided into segments, which include Center Store, Plant, Protein & Dairy, Big CPG, Snack & Beverage, and Non-Food (VMS, Pet) along with Financial Partners. Team members from Customer Success are assigned to each of these segments. Our Customer Success team provides support to a diverse range of customers throughout their entire journey with us, helping them utilize our services to achieve their growth objectives. We ensure that customers are optimized and can scale effortlessly through meaningful interactions, all aimed at delivering both business and technical value. Our primary focus is to deeply understand each customer's business, forging collaborative partnerships that consistently contribute value over time.
We are adding a Director of Customer Success to our Customer Success Team. This Director will guide a team of Managers, Customer Success. The Success team is organized around the customer segments which encompass clients ranging from small and midsized businesses up to large national CPG enterprises. The teams are structured with books of business’ of similar customers allowing opportunity to specialize. This role offers the opportunity to collaborate with customers and internal teams across SPINS to educate, engage, and empower customers & employees to achieve their strategic goals. This role reports to the Vice President Customer Success within the Revenue Organization.
What You Will Do
As Director of Customer Success, you will guide a growing team of Managers, Customer Success, who engage with brands and manufacturers and their partners to collaborate with them on success using our solutions - ultimately ensuring revenue retention.
In this Director role, your responsibilities include:
- Managing a team of approximately 30+ service professionals, inclusive of your segment managers.
- Supporting the segment leaders on strategy for their respective segment to effectively manage their teams’ books of business.
- Focus on overarching strategies and programs for the total team and support the execution of them.
- White space analysis, retention and expansion strategies will be part of your GTM plan that you will partner with Sales leadership to implement.
- Lead, structure, and implement retention and expansion strategies - Net Recurring Revenue as a primary goal.
- Own the contract renewal, and retention forecast sharing with senior leadership at SPINS on a regular basis.
- Act as a point of escalation to your segment’s Managers for client conflict resolution and client engagement and growth of executive level relationships.
- Proactively manage and develop team members through regular coaching, performance reviews, career planning, account reviews and training.
- Ensure regular contact and relationship management activities i.e. top to tops, QBR attendance and customer meetings are part of your day-to-day operating cadence.
- Collaborate with Vice President of Customer Success to serve as a key voice in the development and strategy of the Customer Success organization including annual business strategy as well as department goals.
- Execute and promote the customer feedback loop processes (NPS, Client Feedback Groups) and share “the voice of the customer” with relevant stakeholder teams.
- Be the key point of contact with cross-functional teams outside of Customer Success, develop and refine our Customer Success framework, processes, and documentation of the client journeys with the goal of improving team scalability and outcomes.
- Be the key point of contact alongside Finance and Deal desk departments for escalations, approvals, and overall improvement of the operating motion.
What You Bring
- BA/BS degree in Business, Marketing, Finance or Administration or related quantitative field of study.
- 5+ years of People Leadership including leading leaders.
- 8+ years of commercial experience; 4+ years in a Customer Success or Sales leadership role.
- Experience in implementing commercial programs (including Account Review, Retention, and incentive programs)
- Successful track record of owning customer relationships and exceeding performance and retention goals, product adoption, etc.
- “Face-on” leader willing to contribute to the workload and be in front of customers both virtually and in person.
- Customer-Centric Approach: This role emphasizes the importance of customer success and advocating for the voice of the customer, which is fundamental.
- Expert level skills in managing and influencing through persuasion, negotiation, and consensus building cross-functionally and within your own team, at all levels of the organization.
- Expertise in using a CS platforms to aid in customer adoption, engagement and expansion activities
We give bonus points for:
- 3-7 years of experience with demonstrated expertise in syndicated data analysis in the FMCG, CPG, and Retail industries and application to customer-related business issues.
- Experience working with SPINS, The Nielsen Co., IRI and/or data in a Consumer-Packaged Goods setting is a plus.
- Experience in owning and proving renewal excellence of subscription-based services.
- Experience in data deliverables and technologies
- Experience with scaled customer success approaches including low touch / digital led success strategies and demonstrated partnership with customer marketing functions.
- Familiarity of contract management systems including DocuSign, Salesforce and or other CPQ management tooling
What SPINS Offers
We have enjoyed tremendous growth over the years and, as a leader in a fast-growing industry, we have no plans to slow down! While all that growth brings excitement, it is also an opportunity for SPINS to show it values the health and wellness of its team members.
- We embrace hybrid work options so that you have the flexibility to create a work/life balance that actually works!
- Virtual yoga, HIIT, meditation classes, and “team SPINS” Peloton rides
- Each employee is allotted paid time to use to volunteer with an organization of their choice and charitable donations are matched.
- CEO Connect, a monthly informal small group Q&A session with our top leader
- Semi-annual company-wide employee survey that is used to shape company programs, perks, and culture.
The SPINS Way
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.