Business Development Representative
Who We Are
For over 20 years, SPINS has been a leader in recognizing the transformative power of data in retail. We offer our clients cutting-edge tools to attract attention from a fast-growing segment within the Health & Wellness industry, the values-based consumer. Nearly half of shoppers prioritize products that emphasize wellness, social responsibility, and sustainable practices. SPINS retail consumer insights, analytics, and consulting services give our clients a competitive advantage to increase their share of this growing market. Our data is the most comprehensive and accurate in the industry, allowing clients to power AI models and machine learning algorithms that help them better understand and meet their customers' needs. At SPINS, behind all of our impressive data is our real differentiator, our people. We pride ourselves on our collaborative, flexible, and communicative culture that puts people at the center of everything we do.
The Business Development team falls within the Revenue Organization. Our goal is to cement ourselves as trusted advisors to our customers through greater focus and specialization. We strive to sell with purpose. We leverage our understanding of our customers' businesses, current market trends, and valuable data and solutions to help them get the results they need to grow their business. The Revenue Organization is broken into segments: • Center Store • Plant, Protein & Dairy • Big CPG • Snack & Beverage • and Non-Food (VMS, Pet) Team members from Sales, Customer Success, Business Development, and Solution Architecture are assigned to each segment.
The Revenue Organization culture is one of passion, expertise, curiosity, empathy, and customer-first mentality. We hold each other accountable. We measure our success. Our team members know why their role matters and have the tools and resources to fulfill their duties. Our Objectives: • Have a growth mindset • Do right by our customers & SPINS • Operate as one team • Be accountable to our targets • Question the status quo • Have fun
We are adding a Business Development Representative (BDR) to the team. Our BDRs have the unique opportunity to build our company’s brand and customer loyalty. If you enjoy collaborating with people and using creativity to educate and inform, then this job may be the perfect fit for you. If you are motivated and results-driven, and enjoy working in a team environment, we’d like to meet you.
What you will do
This Business Development Representative (BDR) will undertake lead generation efforts, research current trends to better understand the market and deliver meaningful outreach to solve our prospects' challenges. This position provides you the opportunity to develop and strengthen your leadership, customer service, sales and communication skills. You will use collaboration and communication skills to cultivate strong relationships with potential customers, from first contact through discovery – partnering with Account Executives throughout the buyer journey. You will also ensure a streamlined handoff to Account Executives who create a long lasting impression with our potential customers. To be successful in this role, you will need previous experience developing leads from marketing campaigns and meeting sales quota. Ultimately, you will boost sales and contribute to our long-term business growth.
- Qualify leads from marketing campaigns as sales opportunities
- Contact potential clients through cold calls and emails
- Craft and deliver tailored messaging and content to prospects
- Present SPINS to potential clients
- Identify client needs and suggest appropriate products/services
- Build long-term trusting relationships with prospects
- Proactively seek new business opportunities in the market
- Schedule meetings or calls between (prospective) clients and Sales Directors
- Stay current with new products/services and new pricing/payment plans
What you bring:
- Proven work experience as a Business Development Representative, Sales Account Manager or similar role
- Hands-on experience with multiple sales techniques (including cold calls)
- Track record of achieving or exceeding sales quotas
- Experience with CRM software (e.g. Salesforce) and Sales Engagement Platforms (e.g. Outreach.io, Salesloft)
- Understanding of sales performance metrics
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to conduct prospect discovery
You Probably Have:
- BS/BA Degree in Business, Marketing or related degree
- 1+ years of experience with a Retailer, Distributor, Broker or Manufacturer
- 1+ years of experience in BDR or account/relationship management
- 1+ years of experience using data, insight and visualization
- Prior experience working with AI-driven tools and technology to drive and convert leads
- Business and commercial acumen
We give bonus points for:
- Prior experience working with CPG sales is a plus
What SPINS Offers
We have enjoyed tremendous growth over the years and, as a leader in a fast-growing industry, we have no plans to slow down! While all that growth brings excitement, it is also an opportunity for SPINS to show it values the health and wellness of its team members.
- We embrace hybrid work options so that you have the flexibility to create a work/life balance that actually works!
- Virtual yoga, HIIT, meditation classes, and “team SPINS” Peloton rides
- Each employee is allotted paid time to use to volunteer with an organization of their choice and charitable donations are matched.
- CEO Connect, a monthly informal small group Q&A session with our top leader
- Semi-annual company-wide employee survey that is used to shape company programs, perks, and culture.
The SPINS Way
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.