Business Intelligence Engineer
Who We Are
For over 20 years, SPINS has been a leader in recognizing the transformative power of data in retail. We offer our clients cutting-edge tools to attract attention from a fast-growing segment within the Health & Wellness industry, the values-based consumer. Nearly half of shoppers prioritize products that emphasize wellness, social responsibility, and sustainable practices. SPINS retail consumer insights, analytics, and consulting services give our clients a competitive advantage to increase their share of this growing market. Our data is the most comprehensive and accurate in the industry, allowing clients to power AI models and machine learning algorithms that help them better understand and meet their customers' needs. At SPINS, behind all of our impressive data is our real differentiator, our people. We pride ourselves on our collaborative, flexible, and communicative culture that puts people at the center of everything we do.
The Data Science organization harnesses the data we receive from Retailers and Brands and converts this raw data into insightful reports and predictions. Beyond offering historical perspectives, we leverage this data to anticipate upcoming trends and make forward-looking forecasts. From predicting unit sales to identifying the next groundbreaking product, we empower retailers with strategic insights to shape their future endeavors.
The Business Intelligence (BI) Engineer builds a working knowledge of the SPINS syndicated data and identifies ways to retrieve it from the data lake. This individual contributor BI Engineer is accomplished at accessing, retrieving, transforming, and calculating data in Google BigQuery to surface insights for stakeholders, customers, and partners. The projects this role leads include documenting and interpreting requirements, writing, and testing SQL scripts, and integrating SQL scripts into Microsoft Power BI apps via the advanced editor. The BI Engineer will work with Product and SPINS stakeholders to define, document, and develop requirements. The BI Engineer must describe in business language technology issues and provide on-going support deploying the data model and Power BI apps.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, and is equally comfortable working independently, on a team, or as a team leader, when needed.
What You Will Do
- Join forces with others to identify Power BI application requirements, data sources and measures, and custom specifications (time periods, aggregation levels)
- Work with Platform Engineering to ensure the Power BI apps and backend data in Google BQ conform to SPINS security model
- Work and knowledge understanding of JSON data extraction scripts and modifying existing JSON scripts to ELT data from the data lake to Google BQ
- Debug reporting problems and issues in Power BI, SQL queries, and deployment in Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Build a strong foundational understanding and working knowledge of the Analytics team’s backend data modeling and data warehouse automation
- Identify and escalate issues that put work at risk of delay and propose suitable alternatives
- Explain complex data reporting issues in business language across different levels of the SPINS stakeholders and business partners
What you bring:
- Proven track record of developing SQL queries for summarizing data at different levels and integrating various tables/data sources for reporting purposes. Please be ready to share examples.
- Prior experience working with one of the three major cloud computing environments (GCP, Azure, AWS) relational databases both on premises and in the cloud (e.g. GCP, etc.)
- Demonstrated skill in designing and developing Power BI reports involving drill-thru and interactive queries
- Familiarity with agile development methodology and processes
- A passion for story telling via data visualization and a meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong knowledge of relational databases and cloud databases, specifically Google Big Query models
- Adept at learning new technologies and business functions
You probably have:
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Systems Management or equivalent experience
- 4+ years’ experience working with at least two business intelligence software packages (Qlikview/Qlik Sense, Power BI, Tableau, Looker, Spotfire, etc.)
We give bonus points for:
- Hands-on experience in working with APIs, cloud functions, and microservice architecture
- Experience converting static queries to dynamic, parameter driven queries/ctes
- Master’s degree is a plus
- Power BI Certification is a plus
What SPINS Offers
We have enjoyed tremendous growth over the years and, as a leader in a fast-growing industry, we have no plans to slow down! While all that growth brings excitement, it is also an opportunity for SPINS to show it values the health and wellness of its team members.
- We embrace hybrid work options so that you have the flexibility to create a work/life balance that actually works!
- Virtual yoga, HIIT, meditation classes, and “team SPINS” Peloton rides
- Each employee is allotted paid time to use to volunteer with an organization of their choice and charitable donations are matched.
- CEO Connect, a monthly informal small group Q&A session with our top leader
- Semi-annual company-wide employee survey that is used to shape company programs, perks, and culture.
The SPINS Way
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.