Product Research Analyst
Who We Are
For over 20 years, SPINS has been a leader in recognizing the transformative power of data in retail. We offer our clients cutting-edge tools to attract attention from a fast-growing segment within the Health & Wellness industry, the values-based consumer. Nearly half of shoppers prioritize products that emphasize wellness, social responsibility, and sustainable practices. SPINS retail consumer insights, analytics, and consulting services give our clients a competitive advantage to increase their share of this growing market. Our data is the most comprehensive and accurate in the industry, allowing clients to power AI models and machine learning algorithms that help them better understand and meet their customers' needs. At SPINS, behind all of our impressive data is our real differentiator, our people. We pride ourselves on our collaborative, flexible, and communicative culture that puts people at the center of everything we do.
Product Research Analyst
Product Intelligence (PI) provides, maintains, and continually enhances the product attribute database needed to power best-in-class insights, analytics, and segmentation across SPINS' Solutions (RMS, BI, Retail, CSG, Investors, etc.) and acts as the industry's source of truth database for health & wellness, sustainability, and preference-based shopping.
To support our data pipeline, the Product Research Analyst contributes to the maintenance of the Product Intelligence database through the research, creation, classification, and assignment of product attributes. In addition, the Product Research Analyst simplifies and coalesces product information into relevant product attributes that power SPINS applications and broader industry programs for greater insights into the health & wellness industry.
The Product Research Analyst will research product information from a variety of sources to classify and assign product attributes and taxonomies in the Product Intelligence database. This person will develop deep knowledge of brands and products in the market, and be comfortable utilizing and maintaining a database using simple coding language. The Product Research Analyst will maintain deep product information (product attributes, taxonomies, claims, certification, product facts, product classifications), helping to maintain the most accurate product database to meet scheduled deliveries under quality procedures, industry, and regulatory standards.
This role will interact with a variety of team members across data operations, data pipeline, R&D, data quality, customer support, and fellow data team members. This person should be self-motivated, inquisitive, and agile with a willingness to learn the business and comfortable in a data-driven setting. Having a passion for health & wellness is a plus.
What You Will Do
- Research, classify, and assign detailed product information for product attributes (claims, certifications, product facts, etc.) from a variety of product and content sources, including but not limited to third party data, images, SPINS business intelligence tools, and Product Intelligence databases
- Develop and maintain product attribute classifications based on provided definitions, maintaining SPINS Product Intelligence databases with up-to-date product content
- Assist and participate in developing and implementing standard operating procedures (SOPs) for Product Intelligence definitions and processes
- Foster and maintain relationships with cross-functional teams to manage and execute projects that improve SPINS product attribute offering, ensuring Product Intelligence needs are represented and meeting deadlines.
- Explore, participate in, and support ad hoc data and other business initiatives as needed, performing audits, training, subject matter expertise, and data analysis outside of the standard framework.
- Generate and communicate status on assigned tasks and projects in an Agile process
- Handle competing priorities and heavy project workloads
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business or a Science-related field. An educational background in Nutrition, Dietetics, Food Science, or related fields is a plus
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team, working on assigned CPG products to classify and assign for several product attributes maintained within the database
- Self-motivated; able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment under pressure, adhering to deadlines set by management
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a desire to understand and use simple coding language and database infrastructure to perform their product attribute work
- Strong attention to detail, and ability to leverage volumes of data to guide product classifications and other projects
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools
We Give Points For
- Minimum one year experience working in a data entry or database management role
- Exposure to retail or consumer packaged goods data
- Experience in data management or data operations
- Experience/familiarity in food, dietary supplements, or personal care product labeling/regulatory knowledge, specifically health and wellness products
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exposure to data and business intelligence tools and applications
What SPINS Offers
We have enjoyed tremendous growth over the years and, as a leader in a fast-growing industry, we have no plans to slow down! While all that growth brings excitement, it is also an opportunity for SPINS to show it values the health and wellness of its team members.
- We embrace hybrid work options so that you have the flexibility to create a work/life balance that actually works!
- Virtual yoga, HIIT, meditation classes, and “team SPINS” Peloton rides
- Each employee is allotted paid time to use to volunteer with an organization of their choice and charitable donations are matched.
- CEO Connect, a monthly informal small group Q&A session with our top leader
- Semi-annual company-wide employee survey that is used to shape company programs, perks, and culture.
The SPINS Way
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.