Senior Data Scientist
Who We Are
For over 20 years, SPINS has been a leader in recognizing the transformative power of data in retail. We offer our clients cutting-edge tools to attract attention from a fast-growing segment within the Health & Wellness industry, the values-based consumer. Nearly half of shoppers prioritize products that emphasize wellness, social responsibility, and sustainable practices. SPINS retail consumer insights, analytics, and consulting services give our clients a competitive advantage to increase their share of this growing market. Our data is the most comprehensive and accurate in the industry, allowing clients to power AI models and machine learning algorithms that help them better understand and meet their customers' needs. At SPINS, behind all of our impressive data is our real differentiator, our people. We pride ourselves on our collaborative, flexible, and communicative culture that puts people at the center of everything we do.
Senior Data Scientist
The Data Science and Analytics Team falls within the SPINS' Product and Tech organization. The talented, collaborative, and nurturing team harnesses the data we receive from Retailers and Brands and converts this raw data into insightful reports and predictions. Beyond offering historical perspectives, we leverage this data to anticipate upcoming trends and predict forward-looking forecasts. From predicting unit sales to identifying the next groundbreaking product, we empower retailers with strategic insights to shape their future endeavors.
What you will do
The Senior Data Scientist plays a pivotal role in harnessing SPINS proprietary data to construct state-of-the-art machine learning and AI models that will move our business forward. This role requires close collaboration with our Product and other internal teams to define specifications for each project. The Senior Data Scientist has ownership of the full lifecycle of ML/AI model development, from inception to deployment and ongoing management. This Senior Data Scientist will have the autonomy to select and utilize the optimal algorithms, methodologies, and technologies to accomplish the task at hand. This role requires innovation and utilizing creativity to solve difficult business problems.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, and be equally comfortable working independently, together on a collaborative team, or as a team leader, when needed. There will be opportunities to mentor junior team members on best practices in the data science field.
What you bring
- Master's degree or higher in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, or a related field.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in a data science role, with a focus on practical application of machine learning or AI models.
- Proven track record of leading and delivering end-to-end machine learning projects, all the way from initially developing business requirements to live model deployment and monitoring.
- Proficiency in Python and familiarity with machine learning, statistics, and data manipulations libraries such as Pandas, Scikit-learn, Hugging Face, Numpy, and Pytorch.
- Proficiency in SQL.
- Familiarity with workflow automation tools like Apache Airflow.
- Familiarity with Cloud Platforms, such as Google Cloud Platform.
- Enthusiastically establish and maintain relationships with team members and external teams in a hybrid work setting.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey complex topics to a wide audience.
We give bonus points for
- Experience with Natural Language Processing and Generative AI.
- Experience in the CGP or syndicated data business.
- Knowledge of ML engineering and software development principles and best practices, such as containerization, CI/CD, and git workflows.
- Experience mentoring and developing junior team members.
- Thrives in a fluid environment, adapting to new challenges with a problem-solving mindset.
- Is a self-starter, enthusiastic about exploring new technologies and learning on the fly.
- Stays updated with the latest trends and advancements in data science, machine learning, and AI.
What SPINS Offers
We have enjoyed tremendous growth over the years and, as a leader in a fast-growing industry, we have no plans to slow down! While all that growth brings excitement, it is also an opportunity for SPINS to show it values the health and wellness of its team members.
- We embrace hybrid work options so that you have the flexibility to create a work/life balance that actually works!
- Virtual yoga, HIIT, meditation classes, and “team SPINS” Peloton rides
- Each employee is allotted paid time to use to volunteer with an organization of their choice and charitable donations are matched.
- CEO Connect, a monthly informal small group Q&A session with our top leader
- Semi-annual company-wide employee survey that is used to shape company programs, perks, and culture.
The SPINS Way
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.