Senior Director, Total Rewards
At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 57 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with global offices in Australia, India, Ireland, Türkiye, and the US. Learn more on ourcompany page.
You’re a strong people leader, with international experience, are energized by cross functional communication and collaboration. You love learning new things and are known for bringing innovative perspectives and questions to the table. You’re deadline and results-driven, passionate about creating new processes, systems, and best practices that help your internal partners do their best work.
About this role
Reporting to our newly appointed Chief People Officer, you will deploy a unified Global Total Rewards philosophy/strategic roadmap aligned with our company’s OKRs. You will provide forward-thinking thought leadership while aligning with market best practices, business objectives, and Udemy’s values. You will lead an ambitious team that largely functions autonomously and lend your expertise to aid in the evolution of our total rewards program.
What you'll be doing:
- Partner closely with the Chief People Officer to develop and present Total Rewards strategy for a newer public company including philosophy, objectives, and overall deliverables to Executive Leadership, HR Leadership, the 401k Committee and the Board and Compensation Committee.
- Lead the Total Rewards team through designing, developing, implementing, administering, and maintaining a global competitive compensation and benefits program/structure, incorporating and linking best practices.
- In alignment with our Global Benefits and Compensation strategy, manage and oversee our innovative benefits, wellbeing, and retirement programs, that are inclusive and equitable for all employee populations to attract and retain diverse top talent globally.
- Deploy the execution of a multi-year strategic roadmap for benefits and lead cyclical events like annual renewals for 8+ countries and US Open Enrollment; involved in all phases of renewal discussions, plan design, vendor RFP/implementations, benefits communication, and change management plans.
- Work closely with brokers globally to evaluate and benchmark our benefits programs based on global industry trends and best practices to ensure competitiveness in the market; oversee vendor relationships (e.g. brokers, advisors, and providers) and manage vendors against service level agreements and success metrics.
- Responsible for executive program strategy, design, and implementation; coordinating relevant disclosures (e.g. CD&A); managing Compensation Committee (Board of Directors, as appropriate) related matters; preparing, coordinating, and presenting relevant materials with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide consultative thought leadership to business leaders on our compensation philosophy, pay decisions, pay guidelines, pay policies, and job evaluation practices, including the design of creative solutions to specific compensation-related challenges.
What you’ll have:
- 12+ years of global total rewards (compensation and benefits) experience with the last 5 to 10 years in a senior-level capacity, preferably at a publicly traded company
- Deep experience developing innovative global compensation and benefits/wellbeing programs, total rewards success metrics, and working with the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors of a publicly traded company
- Outstanding team collaboration with the ability to uplevel the skills and reputation of the Total Rewards team as a COE
- Exceptional business acumen and attention to detail while remaining focused on the big picture
- Effective project management, time management, people leadership, and organization skills
- Proven experience handling confidential and sensitive information with the ability to exercise discretion and show good judgment; honesty, integrity, and trust-building behaviors in all dealings are essential and required
- Ability to think critically and iterate in a fast-paced environment
- CCEBS and/or CCP designation is strongly preferred
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
- We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
- Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
- Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
- We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work. Learn more about our certificationhere and find out what it's like to work at Udemy onour blog.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Our Benefits Start With U
Our benefits package at Udemy “starts with U” and is grounded in mission-driven benefits that intentionally align with our core values. Here’s a sneak peek at just a few highlighted benefits if you’re a full-time Udemate based in the United States:
- Core Benefits: Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D, and disability coverage
- HSA/FSA/Commuter: Pre-tax savings/spending plans, including HSA employer contributions
- Transgender Benefits: Expanded medical coverage for gender-affirming care
- Parental Benefits: Financial assistance for fertility (including egg-freezing), adoption, and surrogacy expenses; twelve weeks of paid family bonding for birth, surrogacy, adoption, and foster placement (plus up to six to ten weeks of paid disability leave for birthing parents) as well as a two-week “ease-back” program that enables parents to return part-time at full pay
- Whole U: Fully paid memberships for meditation/mindfulness, therapy/coaching visits, financial planning, virtual family care, reproductive health, breastmilk shipping, and caregiving support
- Learning: Free access to Udemy and Udemy Business plus a yearly stipend to spend on professional development
- Retirement: Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) plan with an employer contribution
- Charitable Giving: Corporate charitable match for eligible nonprofits and charities
- Vacation: Flexible vacation for salaried Udemates and fifteen days per year for hourly
- Holidays: Twelve paid holidays throughout the year
Would you like to learn more about Udemy? Here are a few resources:
The hiring range for this position is $224,000 - $308,000. Actual compensation is based on several factors, including but not limited to job-related skills, qualifications, experience, and specific work location due to differences in the cost of labor. In addition to a base salary, this role is also eligible for benefits, equity, and an annual bonus.
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice.
Something looks off?