At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 57 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with global offices in Australia, India, Ireland, Türkiye, and the US. Learn more on ourcompany page.
You’re an analytical problem-solver ready to put your skills toward purposeful work that has a global impact. You want to lead the way in innovation, exploring the latest technologies and finding new solutions. You thrive in a collaborative environment and are eager to work with and learn alongside the best in Product, Design, and Engineering.
About the role
We're looking for a Data Architect to join our Data Organization, who will be responsible for working across the Data organization and its various cross-functional partners to guide the evolution of Udemy’s data systems, data architecture, and data engineering culture. As a technical thought leader for the company, your focus will be on defining data strategy and scalable architectures with an emphasis on data quality within the section of the data lifecycle that starts at the boundary of raw data ingestion and ends at last mile data consumption.
We are looking for an energetic, optimistic, and independent individual who is passionate about driving increased access to high quality education in the world. The ideal candidate is a team-oriented, hands-on technical leader who has broad knowledge of the modern data engineering stack, balances a long-term mindset with a pragmatic focus on near-term delivery, and is comfortable navigating ambiguity and large organizations to drive fast progress on complex cross-functional technical initiatives.
What you'll be doing
- Work with software architects and other engineers to design and implement Udemy’s enterprise-wide data systems, services, platforms, development environments, and tools
- Partner with solution architects and other stakeholders to define the relationships and data flows between our learning platforms, enterprise systems, and core data platforms
- Work with other data leaders to craft and execute on a data mesh strategy, including the development and rollout of tooling and processes to support data contracts
- Collaborate with product and business leaders throughout the company to ensure that technology initiatives align with business needs
- Consult with teams on core data modeling to ensure a long-term coherent vision for Udemy’s data warehouse architecture
- Define and evangelize data engineering development standards, policies, and best practices across the broader organization
- 10+ years of full-time experience in data engineering, software engineering, or related disciplines
- Broad knowledge across data engineering (e.g., ETL/ELT, data modeling), data governance (e.g., data modeling, data classification, data catalog and lineage), batch and real-time streaming data platforms (e.g., Airflow, Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, dbt), and cloud services (e.g., S3, EMR, Athena, Databricks, Sagemaker).
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and the modern data stack
- Prior experience leading large-scale technology migration initiatives requiring coordination across multiple technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Solid hands-on software engineering skills and proficiency with SQL and object-oriented or functional programming languages, such as Python, Scala, Java, etc.
- Ability to drive multiple initiatives simultaneously by leveraging senior technical leaders across the business
- Excellent technical writing and oral communication skills
Preferred, but not required
- Broad familiarity with platform engineering (e.g., containerization, Docker, Kubernetes), software engineering (e.g., microservices, domain-driven design, CI/CD automation) concepts.
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
- We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
- Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
- Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
- We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work. Learn more about our certificationhere and find out what it's like to work at Udemy onour blog.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Our Benefits Start With U
Our benefits package at Udemy “starts with U” and is grounded in mission-driven benefits that intentionally align with our core values. Here’s a sneak peek at just a few highlighted benefits if you’re a full-time Udemate based in the United States:
- Core Benefits: Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D, and disability coverage
- HSA/FSA/Commuter: Pre-tax savings/spending plans, including HSA employer contributions
- Transgender Benefits: Expanded medical coverage for gender-affirming care
- Parental Benefits: Financial assistance for fertility (including egg-freezing), adoption, and surrogacy expenses; twelve weeks of paid family bonding for birth, surrogacy, adoption, and foster placement (plus up to six to ten weeks of paid disability leave for birthing parents) as well as a two-week “ease-back” program that enables parents to return part-time at full pay
- Whole U: Fully paid memberships for meditation/mindfulness, therapy/coaching visits, financial planning, virtual family care, reproductive health, breastmilk shipping, and caregiving support
- Learning: Free access to Udemy and Udemy Business plus a yearly stipend to spend on professional development
- Retirement: Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) plan with an employer contribution
- Charitable Giving: Corporate charitable match for eligible nonprofits and charities
- Vacation: Flexible vacation for salaried Udemates and fifteen days per year for hourly
- Holidays: Twelve paid holidays throughout the year
Would you like to learn more about Udemy? Here are a few resources:
The hiring range for this position is $186,000 - $348,000. Actual compensation is based on several factors, including but not limited to job-related skills, qualifications, experience, and specific work location due to differences in the cost of labor. In addition to a base salary, this role is also eligible for benefits equity and annual bonus.
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice.