Senior Software Engineer
At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 57 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with global offices in Australia, India, Ireland, Türkiye, and the US. Learn more on ourcompany page.
You’re an analytical problem-solver ready to put your skills toward purposeful work that has a global impact. You want to lead the way in innovation, exploring the latest technologies and finding new solutions. You thrive in a collaborative environment and are eager to work with and learn alongside the best in Product, Design, and Engineering.
About this role
As the Senior Software Engineer on the Globalization team you will be designing, implementing and maintaining scalable solutions for new markets at Udemy. As engineer of the globalization team you will be working closely to understand International needs of Udemy learners and enterprises. You will help develop service-oriented foundations for Globalization at Udemy and collaborate with other teams on connecting instructors, learners and organization on their skill development journey.
What you'll be doing:
- Design, specify and implement new features and services
- Participate in code reviews making sure that our code is well designed, tested, robust, secure, performant and readable
- Contribute to the quality and health of your team's codebase
- Initiate, lead and execute improvements to our code and architecture
- Support your team to deliver extraordinary output
- Mentor junior engineers
- Nurture relationships with other engineering teams and other functions within Udemy
- Work closely with product, design and other team partners to ensure our implementations meet business outcomes
What you’ll have:
- 5+ years of professional engineering experience
- Strong object-oriented programming skills and expert level software development in at least one programming language (ideally Python/Kotlin)
- Experience with web application development frameworks such as Spring Boot and Django
- Experience with designing scalable systems with microservices and event-driven architecture (preferably Kafka)
- Experience designing scalable, secure and performant APIs (REST/GraphQL/gRPC)
- Focus on quality and developer-led testing methods (unit, integration and e2e)
- Experience working with databases, both relational and noSQL
- Understanding of best practices of application security (at least OWASP Top 10)
- Experience working in a highly collaborative environment that involves product, design and other stakeholders
- Experience working closely with Global Engineering teams
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose issues and perform root cause analysis
- Experience working with Internationalization of Products
- Experience with B2B SaaS applications
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
- We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
- Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
- Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
- We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work. Learn more about our certificationhere and find out what it's like to work at Udemy onour blog.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability.
Our Benefits Start With U
Our benefits package at Udemy “starts with U” and is grounded in mission-driven benefits that intentionally align with our core values. Here’s a sneak peek at just a few highlighted benefits if you’re a full-time Udemate based in the India:
- Core Benefits: Comprehensive medical, life and income protection coverage
- Parental Benefits: Financial assistance for fertility (including egg-freezing), adoption, and surrogacy expenses; twelve weeks of paid family bonding for birth, surrogacy, adoption, and foster placement. 26 weeks paid maternity leave for birthing parents as well as a two-week “ease-back” program that enables parents to return part-time at full pay
- Whole U: Fully paid memberships for meditation/mindfulness, therapy/coaching visits, financial planning, fertility and family building, maternity and newborn care, parenting and pediatrics, menopause care, breastmilk shipping, and caregiving support
- Learning: Free access to Udemy and Udemy Business plus a yearly stipend to spend on professional development
- Retirement: 12% of your base salary or INR 1,800 per month
- Charitable Giving: Corporate charitable match for eligible nonprofits and charities
- Holidays: 25 paid holidays throughout the year plus bank holidays
Would you like to learn more about Udemy? Here are a few resources:
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice.
Something looks off?