Senior Commercial and Privacy Counsel
Senior Commercial and Privacy Counsel
At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 59 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with global offices in Australia, India, Ireland, Türkiye, and other US locations. Our robust hybrid work model spans San Francisco, Denver, Ankara, Dublin, and Melbourne. This hybrid position requires two days per week in our Denver office.
Learn more about us on our company page.
You’re a connector who puts people first and values the lasting partnerships you’ll build. You’re an active listener who cares about the stories people share and are energized by communication and collaboration. You love learning new things and are known for bringing innovative perspectives and questions to the table. You’re deadline and results-driven, passionate about creating new processes, systems, and best practices that help your internal partners do their best work.
About this role
As Senior Corporate Counsel, you would be a member of Udemy’s small but mighty Legal team. You will be responsible for negotiating a wide variety of commercial and privacy contracts and advising the business on a variety of novel legal issues. This position provides a unique opportunity to make an immediate impact, and interact directly with amazingly friendly co-workers in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
We’re looking for someone who can help us maintain our earnestly authentic culture while we expand our global reach. We emphasize an environment of learning and collaboration to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their role and to help our colleagues to succeed. If you’re looking for the opportunity to make a significant impact, Udemy’s legal team provides an action-oriented environment to take both your career and our mission (to improve lives through learning) to the next level.
What you'll be doing:
- Support the sales team for Udemy Business by negotiating commercial agreements, including SAAS subscription agreements, data processing agreements, NDAs, and other sales agreements
- Work with stakeholders from nearly every department of the company to negotiate a variety of different agreements, including government, vendor, business development, and marketing agreements
- Collaborate with finance, sales operations, deal desk, product operations, support, security and other business units at all levels throughout the organization to ensure that agreements adequately protect the company’s interests
- Support the continuous improvement of standard forms of agreement and legal processes.
- Monitor and analyze changes in the law and legal risks to ensure we comply with applicable laws and regulations
- Counsel internal teams regarding company policies, legal issues, and risk tolerance.
- Develop training and other informational materials to educate the team and business on key contract issues, legal processes, compliance, and data privacy topics
- Help maintain our team’s excellent sense of humor and enjoyment of work
What you’ll have
- 7+ years experience working on commercial contracts either at a law firm or in-house legal department, including experience negotiating and drafting SaaS agreements
- In-house commercial contracting experience dealing with SaaS or software licensing transactions and supporting a sales organization
- Strong knowledge of CPPA and GDPR as it relates to commercial contracts
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills, and a talent for non-confrontational, win-win negotiations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to distill complex issues clearly and communicate in a succinct, clear and concise manner.
- Attention to detail, a sense of passion to support Udemy’s business and the versatility and confidence to take on challenges that are presented to you
- Excellent critical thinking abilities, a strong business acumen and the ability to work autonomously and prioritize a workload in a fast-paced work environment at a high-growth company
- Desire for close collaboration with sales and sales support to close deals efficiently, with a practical approach
- Proficient drafting and legal technical skills, with keen attention to detail
- Experience working across jurisdictions and time zones
- Team player who enjoys building relationships and working with others
- Great personality, a sense of humor, and a deep appreciation for Halloween!
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work. Learn more about our certification here and find out what it's like to work at Udemy on our blog.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Our Benefits Start With U
Our benefits package at Udemy “starts with U” and is grounded in mission-driven benefits that intentionally align with our core values. Here’s a sneak peek at just a few highlighted benefits if you’re a full-time Udemate based in the United States:
Core Benefits: Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D, and disability coverage
HSA/FSA/Commuter: Pre-tax savings/spending plans, including HSA employer contributions
Transgender Benefits: Expanded medical coverage for gender-affirming care
Parental Benefits: Financial assistance for fertility (including egg-freezing), adoption, and surrogacy expenses; twelve weeks of paid family bonding for birth, surrogacy, adoption, and foster placement (plus up to six to ten weeks of paid disability leave for birthing parents) as well as a two-week “ease-back” program that enables parents to return part-time at full pay
Whole U: Fully paid memberships for meditation/mindfulness, therapy/coaching visits, financial planning, fertility and family building, maternity and newborn care, parenting and pediatrics, menopause care, breastmilk shipping, and caregiving support
Learning: Free access to Udemy and Udemy Business plus a yearly stipend to spend on professional development
Retirement: Pre-tax and Roth 401(k) plan with an employer contribution
Charitable Giving: Corporate charitable match for eligible nonprofits and charities
Vacation: Flexible vacation for salaried Udemates and fifteen days per year for hourly
Holidays: Twelve paid holidays throughout the year
Would you like to learn more about Udemy? Here are a few resources:
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice.