Machine Learning Engineer
Machine Learning Engineer
At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 67 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
This hybrid position requires two days per week in the office at the nearest hub.
You’re an analytical problem-solver ready to put your skills toward purposeful work that has a global impact. You want to lead the way in innovation, exploring the latest technologies and finding new solutions. You thrive in a collaborative environment and are eager to work with and learn alongside the best in Product, Design, and Engineering.
About this role
As a member of the team, you will play a crucial role in the design and implementation of the search platform. You will have the opportunity to leverage your existing skills and knowledge while further honing your expertise in a collaborative and innovative work environment. Your contributions will play a pivotal role in the success of our search platform development efforts.
What you'll be doing:
- As a member of the team, you will be working in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment, interacting with product managers, designers, data scientists and engineers to identify opportunities and implement solutions.
- You will work on innovative ideas to build and refine search and information retrieval systems that are crucial for our products.
- Contribute to vector search systems to enhance performance and scalability.
What you’ll have
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in backend development, showcasing a proven track record of contributing to the design, implementation, and maintenance of scalable and reliable systems.
- Strong proficiency in at least one backend programming language, such as Kotlin, Java, Python, or Node.js, with a demonstrated ability to write clean, efficient, maintainable and well-documented code.
- A must-have proficiency in object-oriented programming principles and practices. Demonstrated experience applying OOP concepts for designing and developing scalable and maintainable backend solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complex technical problems with a systematic and structured approach.
- Strong foundational knowledge of data structures and algorithms, with the ability to apply these concepts to solve complex problems efficiently.
- Experience optimizing code for performance and efficiency.
- Experience in troubleshooting and debugging production issues.
- Understanding of machine learning model deployment, training, and management.
- Effective communication skills with the ability to collaborate within cross-functional teams.
A proactive attitude towards learning and staying updated with emerging trends and technologies in backend development.
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability.
Our Benefits Start With U
Our benefits package at Udemy “starts with U” and is grounded in mission-driven benefits that intentionally align with our core values. Here’s a sneak peek at just a few highlighted benefits if you’re a full-time Udemate based in the Türkiye:
Core Benefits: Comprehensive medical, dental, life and income protection coverage
Parental Benefits: Financial assistance for fertility (including egg-freezing), adoption, and surrogacy expenses; twelve weeks of paid family bonding for birth, surrogacy, adoption, and foster placement. 16 weeks paid maternity leave for birthing parents as well as a two-week “ease-back” program that enables parents to return part-time at full pay
Whole U: Fully paid memberships for meditation/mindfulness, therapy/coaching visits, financial planning, fertility and family building, maternity and newborn care, parenting and pediatrics, menopause care, breastmilk shipping, and caregiving support
Learning: Free access to Udemy and Udemy Business plus a yearly stipend to spend on professional development
Charitable Giving: Corporate charitable match for eligible nonprofits and charities
Holidays: 15 days of approved leave if the length of service is 2 months in the first year; 21 days of annual leave if the length of term is between 1 and 3 years; 26 days of annual leave if the length of term is more than 3 years (i.e. 26 days for every year after the end of 4 years of service)
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice.